The EPC Property Improvement Loan is available to the bank's existing customers and is designed to help residential landlords update their property portfolios with energy saving solutions in order to comply with proposed UK Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards legislation. The new product is a further advance to existing loans, providing borrowing from £20,000 to £500,000.
Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards
Under current Government proposals, all newly rented properties will need a minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of C by 2025, while existing tenancies have until 2028.
Some properties are exempt from the regulations; for example, if the building is listed or protected. If the property meets the guidelines for exemption, the landlord can apply via the following link Guidance on PRS exemptions and Exemptions Register evidence requirements - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Energy Performance Certificates
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives each property a Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) rating. This provides a property with an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.
An EPC also contains:
- information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
- recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money
Cynergy Bank EPC Property Improvement Loan
- Borrowing amount of £20,000 to £500,000 per portfolio
- Variable rate of interest
- No early repayment charges
- Competitive arrangement fee – 1.5%
- No additional security requirements
- The borrowing can only be used for existing residential property that is secured under an existing Cynergy Bank loan
- 100% of the borrowing will be used for the purpose of making energy efficient improvements
- You will have received development quotes to complete the work and these quotes match the borrowing amount you have requested (please note that for borrowing requests above £50,000 we will ask you for physical evidence of the quotes to support your application)
- The work will take the properties to at least the minimum MEES standards (C and above)
- A valid EPC C+ certificate for each property is required 12 months after drawdown of the loan
Eligibility is subject to approval. Terms and conditions apply.
Please note as part of the application process we will ask you to self-attest to the above requirements.
How to apply
If you would like to discuss this product, please contact your Relationship Manager or contact our team.
Cynergy Bank EPC C+ Term Loan – launched June 2023
Launched in June, this EPC C+ Term Loan is designed for new and existing customers whose property portfolio already meets Minimum Energy Efficient Standards with an EPC rating of C.