Using my contactless debit card
Your debit card is already the most convenient way to pay for items when you’re out and about. Now, with contactless payment, you’ll find it even easier to pay for smaller transactions.
Debit card transactions
After making a debit card payment, it may take up to 15 minutes for your available balance to be updated. The timeframe for the update can vary depending on the retailer and the payment method used (in-person or online).
What is contactless payment?
- Fast… Pay for items up to £100 in less than a second
- Easy… No need to carry cash or receive small change
- Secure…Built-in security keeps your money safe. You can still use your Cynergy Bank debit card as you always have to pay for larger transactions, to make cash withdrawals from your account at cash machines and to use for online purchases.
You can use contactless wherever you see the contactless sign. There are more than one million places to use your card in Europe. In the UK this includes leading supermarkets, shops, convenience stores, cafés, fast food outlets and post offices, as well as many pubs and bars. It’s also really helpful when you’re travelling.
In London you can use it on the Tube, trams, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services, as well as on buses. Visit the Transport for London website for more details, including information about opening a TfL online account so you can see how you've been charged and where you've been with your contactless card.
It only takes seconds to pay with your contactless debit card.
Look for the contactless symbol when paying for items up to £100
Touch your contactless card against the symbol on the reader until the lights turn green
A beep indicates successful payment. Sometimes, for additional security, you may also be asked to enter your PINntactless payment?
Contactless payment is very secure and your money is completely safe.
- Contactless uses the same tried-and-tested technology as chip and PIN
- You must make a successful chip and PIN transaction before you can make contactless payments
- The card needs to touch the reader, or be very close to it, to make a payment
- You can’t pay twice for the same transaction - terminals will not accept two payments for one purchase
- If you have more than one contactless card, please ensure you keep them separately. This will avoid the reader detecting a card you do not intend to pay with. Only one card can be read at any one time
- Don’t worry if your card is lost or stolen. You’re protected against fraudulent use of your card, providing you take reasonable precautions to protect your card and notify us as soon as you realise it’s gone
Your contactless VISA debit card can be used at retail outlets or Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) displaying the VISA logo. The maximum single cash withdrawal amount is £300 and you can withdraw this amount twice in one day.
These cash withdrawal limits, and other payment limits, are in place to safeguard against fraud and they will generally cover most purchases you make. However, if you’re expecting to make a large purchase or a large number of purchases using your debit card, please contact Customer Service and we will be able to increase the withdrawal limit for a temporary period providing there are sufficient funds in your account.
We won’t charge our customers for using ATMs in the UK, but others may, so please check the ATM at the point of the transaction.
- Sign your debit card as soon as you receive it and
destroy your old card.
- Destroy the PIN advice after memorising the number.
- We recommend that you change your PIN as soon as you have received it, but do not create one that is easy to guess like 1234, 4444, or your date of birth.
- Keep your PIN confidential, never write it down or disclose it to anyone.
- Keep your debit card safe and secure at all times and do not allow other people to use it, whether for contactless payments, with or without the PIN.
- Only disclose the debit card number for the purpose of making a card transaction, when reporting the loss or theft of the debit card, or when we authorise disclosure.
- Check that the total of each purchase you make is correct before you enter your PIN and ensure your debit card is returned to you after each transaction.
- Shield the key pad when you enter your PIN.
- You must make a successful chip and PIN transaction before you can make contactless payments. This means if the card is intercepted before you receive it, it cannot be used without the PIN.
- Check your Online Banking transaction history for any unauthorised use and keep receipts for reference.
- When you do discard receipts or PIN advices make sure you do so securely by shredding them.
- Your new debit card is automatically registered for the Visa Secure service.
If your card has been lost or stolen, or if you do not recognise a transaction, notify Customer Service immediately.
You can use your contactless VISA debit card to pay for goods and services or to withdraw cash in the local currency.
Transactions in foreign currencies will be converted to sterling using the Visa payment exchange rate on the day the exchange takes place. Additional fees are applied as set out in our Tariff.
We may, at our discretion, prevent your card from being used in certain countries* if we believe there is risk of fraud, or for any other valid reason.
Please contact Customer Service before going overseas to check whether such restrictions apply to the country you are visiting.
* Cynergy Bank euro debit cards are available but cannot be used in the UK. Transactions in currencies other than euro will be converted to euro using the Visa payment scheme exchange rate. Additional fees are applied as set out in the Fee Information Document (For Personal Current Accounts operated in Euros).